Range to north east currently two cottages in Graeco-Egyptian manner. Designed of squared when rubbish with granite dressings. Daring ramped door pieces with cavetto cornices and stepped blocking courses, outer bays similarly detailed however with windows (one later door). Sash and case windows with 8-pane glazing pattern. Main cornice and blocking course. Tall battered stacks with splayed cornices, four central stacks sorted, outer two paired. Flat roof. Range to North West eight bays with principal house and recent engine room.
This is a classic example of a lighthouse complicated that encompasses the beacon, accommodation for the keepers and their families, means that of transport with the seawall and a method of subsistence with fields and walled garden. It forms a particular grouping in an outstanding setting. This site also documents the event of the beacon with the sooner tower being one among the first four lighthouses commissioned by the Northern lighthouse Board that had been formed three years earlier. The lamp was 1st lit on October sixteenth 1789, a plaque on the first keeper's house mentions Alexander Reid, the first keeper who came in 1789 and stayed for thirty five years. The Egyptian kind of the keepers' bungalow is additionally of architectural interest and was later used at the Ardnamurchan lighthouse keepers' cottages. (Ref: Historic Scotland)
Maximum Temprature: 5 C
Clouds: few clouds
sunrise: 2020-01-17 08:57:08
sunset: 2020-01-17 16:15:20