The fortress is situated at the top of the hill which seperates the beaches of Lloret de Mar and Fenals and dates returned to the beginning of the 11th century, possibly from the age of lady Sicardis and her sons, the Lords of Lloret (1041-1110), when it controlled the feudal territory of Lloret.
The origins of the Castle of Sant Joan are the origins of the city Lloret.
The warfare that England fought towards Spain and France and which ended with the Battle of Trafalgar also had a disastrous impact on the tower of Sant Joan Castle. In 1805, the British Navy bobarded the tower, which definitively destroyed the fortified site. The castle remained in disuse at some point of the nineteenth centuary and used to be reduced to pile of rubble.
The chapel used to be consecrated in 1709, even though the only stays of the original construction are the foundations of the keep , the Japanese wall, some remnants on the southern facet and a number of silos excavated in the rock but presently covered. In the 12th century, the domain of the fort was once shared between the Episcopal See of Girona and the Lords of Palafolls, before coming underneath whole manage of the see of Girona in 1218.
It was damaged by way of the Genovese fleet in1356 and maybe once more in the earthquakes of 1427 – 1428, however was rebuilt on each occasion. Extensive rebuilding work was once carried out between the 15th and 16th centuries, giving it the appearance it has today, with two wings of rooms to the north and east, connecting to the exterior wall and opening onto an interior courtyard.
Up until the quit of the 17th century the castle used to be still entirely operational, as confirmed by way of the archaeological finds found on the site. During these times the fort used to be used on the whole as a lookout tower to prevent any possible attacks from the sea. In 1805, in the course of England’s fighting on Spain and France, a British warship shot several cannons at the citadel which seriously broken part of the tower and the exterior wall. Finally, two violent storms. One in1840 and the other in 1923, completely demolished components of the wall and the ancient citadel tower.
The castle’s safely as a Building of Cultural Interest in accordance to the decree handed on 22 April 1949 saved it from being demolished in the Sixties after it had been partly broken by housing improvement work being carried out at the time. Following preliminary archaeological excavations during the years 1965-1968 and in 1983, in 1992 restoration of the maintain was once complete, imparting an gorgeous view of the surrounding area. Finally, in 2000-2001 excavation work used to be accomplished and the citadel was transformed into a heritage website online in order to improve know-how of our medieval history and make it handy for cultural visits, guaranteeing its safety by using skill of new signposting for the monument which makes use of one of a kind sorts of signs along with all types of data concerning the records of the fort and the town of Lloret de Mar in general.
Address: Punta de Fenals. 17310, Lloret de Mar.
Tel: +34 972 365 788
Fax: +34 972 367 750
From October to May:
Saturdays, Sundays and financial institution holidays from 10am to 2pm.
From June to September:
Monday to Sunday: 10am to 1pm and 5pm to 7pm.
Closed on 25th and 26th December and 1st and 6the January.
Adults: 3 €
Reduced: 1.5€ (pensioners, early life card holder, scholar card holder, household card, human beings with disabilities)
Live WeatherNOW: 11.08°C
The article does not reflects the AWAYN's official views, and should NOT taken as editorial workSEE ALL ARTICLES