The Milwaukee Art Museum has been a scene-stealer since 2001 due to its soaring 217-foot-wide steel wings that rise above the Quadracci Pavilion each morning. Since its $34 million renovation and expansion completed in November, there’s even more to admire.
Built on the shore of Lake Michigan, this spacious museum owns 30,000 works of art. The 341,000-square-foot museum includes the War Memorial Center (1957) designed by Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen, the Kahler Building (1975) by David Kahler, and the Quadracci Pavilion (2001) created by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. The bold and innovative Calatrava design fits the lakeshore location perfectly and resembles a creature with wings. The museum owns 15th- to 20th-century European and 17th- to 20th-century American paintings, sculpture, prints, drawings, decorative arts, photographs, and folk and self-taught art. Outstanding collections include the museum’s examples of American decorative arts, German Expressionism, folk and Haitian art, and American art after 1960. The museum also has one of the largest collections of works by Wisconsin native Georgia O’Keeffe.
Parking is available under the museum itself with elevator service to the exhibit halls and exhibitions. The Milwaukee Art Museum is completely accessible for persons with disabilities.
Live WeatherNOW: 2.8°C
The article does not reflects the AWAYN's official views, and should NOT taken as editorial workSEE ALL ARTICLES